MUSK OXEN | OPPDAL, NORWAY
This program includes a combination of hotel accommodation and sleeping out in a tent in tha national park ( good in order to get sunrise and sunset), but it is possible to chose different combinations:
- accommodation in hotel only
- sleeping in tent in the national park only, but we advise to spend the first night in a hotel if you arrive in the afternoon/ evening
Arrival Oslo Airport (Gardermoen).
Train directly from the airport to Oppdal (4,5 hours). Book at www.NSB.no
You will be picked up at the railway station for transfer 100 meters to your hotel - Oppdal turisthotel.
- Musk ox tour, with staying overnight in a tent and driving a dog sled.
- The guide will meet you in the reception at 09.00 am and go through equipment and logistics about how to behave around animals, toilet procedures, food, routines in camp among other things.
- Drive from the hotel to Dovrefjell National park (40 minutes).
- Meet the musher and help to prepeare the sled (45 minutes)
- Drive the dog sled to the location for basecamp (1-2 hours, depending on the snow)
- Arrange the camp and have lunch (2 hours)
- Hike up to the musk ox (0,5 - 2 hours normally)
- Stay with the musk ox until sunset
- Go back to camp and prepare dinner (drytech). Melt snow for water, and photograph tent/stars/aurora if there is clear sky. Chilling in the tents chatting before bed time.
- You will sleep in warm sleepingbags and on good pump up mattrasses that we provide.
- Wake up early in the morning (between 06.00 and 07.00), eat breakfast and then pack our stuff. We try to reach the musk ox before sunrise.
- Stay with the musk ox until mid day.
- Return to camp, eat lunch and then pack the camp down.
- The musher pick us up at the time we want, normally between 12.00-14.00
- Drive back to the car with the dogs, and then pack the car and drive back to Oppdal.
- The guide leaves you at the hotel. Prepearing you equipment after the trip and relaxing is the only program - dinner "on your own"
- Sleep at the hotel
- Day trip to the musk ox
- The guide picks you up at the hotel at agreed time, f.ex. 10.00 am
- Drive up to Dovrefjell and meet the musher
- Go with the dogs to the musk ox (about 1-2 hours)
- Hike the last 1-2 kilometers so we don't scare them with the dogs
- Photograph musk ox, and landscape
- Go with the dogs back to the car and then drive back to the hotel
- The guide leaves you at the hotel. Dinner "on your own" and relaxing on the menu
- Sleep at the hotel
- Breakfast at the hotel
- Your guide meets you to say goodbye - Walk to the train station
- Catch the train from Oppdal to Gardermoen/Oslo Airport (4,5 hours)
- Take the plane back home